If you haven’t guessed by now I love tacos! And I love making sauces and salsas. This one has some incredible flavoursome eat, courtesy of the Arbol chillies and tomatillos. Spicy and sweet. Throw in some salt and lime juice and you’ve got everything you need in a salsa. Some roasted red peppers give this a nice thick base sauce and the combination of ingredients create an beautiful orange colour.
For the beef, you simply fry it up and add some spices to turn the flavour of it up a notch. The mix of the two textures and flavours will explode on your taco!
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 500g of premium beef mince
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of cumin powder
- 3 dry pequín chillies, diced finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mince, about 6 minutes.
- Once browned, add the spices and chillies and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- 1 cup of dried árbol chillies
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 large tin of tomatillos
- 2 spring onions
- 1 green habenaro
- 2 sweet red peppers, roasted
- 3 tablespoons of pine nuts
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Put the garlic, spring onion, habenaro and tomatillos into a large pot and cook for about 10 mins. Put some of the juice from the tomatillo tin into the pot as well.
- Add the árbol chillies, red pepper and pine nuts. If you need to add some water at this stage to stop things sticking go ahead.
- Once the árbols are looking rehydrated add the lime juice and put everything in a blender. Blender until nice and smooth. You should have a thick, creamy orange salsa.