Prawns in batter dipped in coconut. Does this recipe really need an intro? Probably not. But it does need a little warning as boiling hot oil is used. Be careful when using this. But enjoy them all the same. Because they are delicious.
- 6-12 large prawns
- 60g flour
- 100ml sparking water
- Pinch of salt
- 50g desiccated coconut
- A lot of vegetable oil! 300-400ml.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan. I use a wok. This oil is going to get scalding hot so BE CAREFUL.
- Mix the flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Slowly add the water until you get a nice smooth mixture.
- Make sure your prawns are cleaned. Nothing worse than biting into an uncleaned prawn! So no shell, no tail, no inside bits.
- Once your oil is really hot dip a prawn in the batter and transfer gently to the oil. Repeat until you have 6 prawns in the wok.
- The batter will turn a lovely golden brown once done, usually 4-5 minutes.
- Have a plate with some desiccated coconut on it. Once a prawn is done dip it in the coconut, which should stick to the batter.
Serve up with some sweet chilli or mango sauce.