The best thing about buying dried chillies is finding them in the back of the cupboard months later! I picked up some dried chipotles ages ago and came across them at the weekend. Perfect timing for taco day!
This simple recipe makes enough for about 12 tacos, or more depending on your portion size, and is great for keeping for lunches or dinners later in the week. If you don’t have chipotles use any dried chillies. Just be careful incase they are super hot!
- 4 free range chicken breasts
- Half a cup of white vinegar
- Half a cup of apple cider vinegar
- Half a cup of soy sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 8 dried chipotle chillies. You can pick these up in Picado or HomeSense.
- 8-10 sprigs of thyme
- 4-6 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns, about 20
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10-12 tortillas
- Bunch of spring onions, diced
- In a pot combine the chicken with the vinegar, soy, garlic, thyme, bay leaves,chillies, peppercorns and cinnamon sticks and cook covered for 60-90 minutes.
- After 60-90 minutes remove the chicken and shred then place back in the pot for another 15-20 minutes.
- Heat your tortillas and serve topped with chicken and spring onions and any damn salsa you like! Or with pickles because pickles are amazing!