These are far from healthy but damn they are delicious! I’m a big fan of black pudding. It’s a real Irish delicacy. Now I know you shouldn’t mess with something as good as this but adding some juicy apple and deep frying these into a light tempura batter makes a really great side or snack.
And while they might not look as delicious as they taste, trust me when I say they are!
- 1 length, about 300g, of black pudding.
- 4 apples, grated
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 125g Tempura batter
- 180ml of water
- 500ml vegetable/sunflower oil
- Grate the apples down, skin and all, as fine as you can get them. Try to keep as much of the apple juice as you can as well, this will add to the apple flavour later.
- Cut the black pudding into small chunks and mix in with the apple. Black pudding can be quite compacted so the best way to mix these around is to get dirty and use your hands. You’ll have to use them in a bit anyway!
- If the mixture is very wet add a tablespoon (or two if needed) to the mixture.
- Once everything is mixed, shape the black pudding into small, bite sized balls.
- Heat your oil in a wok or deep pan.
- Make batter by following package instructions. I use
- Coat the balls in the batter one by one and gently place into the hot oil. Once done the batter should be golden brown.