I’ve wanted to try use Kimchi in my food more but was struggling to come up with something I could add it to. Kimchi cabbage is a good way but I wanted something more substantial that could act as a side or a snack. And as always I wanted it to be simple but delicious.
You can make kimchi yourself but I decided to just use the store bought stuff this time as it would save me making a mess and speed up the recipe time. Adding it to what is essentially a big potato pancake made a lot of sense as the ingredients were ones I had lying around the house.
This should be enough for 1 person so double or adjust the ingredients if you’re making more.
- 1 large potato, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of kimchi, add more for more spice
- 1 egg yoke
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Diced spring onion
- In a large bowl mix the potato, flour, egg white and salt. The mixture should become quite sticky. Make sure all the flour is mixed in.
- Add the kimchi to the mixture, stirring well.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the oil. Once heated add the potato mix. Evenly spread the mix across the pan until it looks like a pancake. Cook for 3-4 minutes then flip.
- Once you are happy both sides are done add the egg yoke to the middle of the cake and fold one side onto the other. The egg should cook relatively quick in the fold.
- Remove from the heat, slice into strips and top with some finely diced spring onion.