Another slow cooker treat. This Caribbean inspired chicken dish is super sweet and takes minimal effort. Gotta love the slow cooker!
(makes enough for 4-6 people, or 2 dinners and 2 lunches)
- 6 chicken breasts
- 2 red onions, diced
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- Tin of pineapple chunks
- Tin of peaches
- Tin of mandarin slices (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 3 teaspoons of paprika
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 table spoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons of malt vinegar
- 1.2 litres of boiling water
- Sear the chicken on all sides in a hot pan. Once done on all sides remove from heat and set aside.
- Fry the onion, carrots and peppers for a couple of minutes.
- Drain the tinned fruit (keep the liquid) and add to the pan.
- Make the sauce by combining the flour, paprika, soy, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and the juice you kept from the tinned fruit.
- Add the sauce to the pan, stir and bring to the boil.
- Put everything into the slow cooker and pop the lid on. Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
Not all Caribbean dishes need to be jerk based, although jerk is incredible! This one is quite sweet and can be served with some coconut rice to keep that Caribbean flavour going strong.