This is unreal! Took me ages to make it the first time I did but was worth every minute. Don’t let anyone tell you burgers have to be meat based because this is just savage! You can add what ever toppings you like and invite some people round because this makes about 6 burgers!
(MAKES ABOUT 6 BURGERS)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 courgettes, grated
- 2 large carrot, grated
- 100g porridge oats
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 large free-range egg
- 4 spring onions finely sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wholeweat sourdough buns, split and toasted
- Chickpea Hummus
- Avocado slices
- Shredded red cabbage
- Heat about 1tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 4-5 mins or until softened. Add the grated vegetables and cool, stirring, for about 5 mins until wilted, then drain off any liquid.
- Place the oats, chickpeas, tahini and egg yolks in a food processor and pulse to combine. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, stir through the grated vegetables and coriander, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into 6 burgers and chill for about 30 mins (or up to 24 hours). Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and cook the burgers, in batches if necessary, for about 2-3 mins each side until golden.
- Serve the burgers in toasted sourdough buns with the hummus, avocado and red cabbage.
These tasty burgers are great for an alternative BBQ snack. And everyone will love them. Even people who don’t like beetroot!