You can’t beat some slow cooked food! Especially if its Mexican inspired. I’m a massive fan of Mexican and Latin American food because it’s always got so much flavour. Making this on any day of the week is great as you can just throw the chicken into the slow cooker and let it cook away for hours. Plus if you serve it up with some hot red slaw it’ll taste extra good, and you’ll have extra red slaw left for other dishes.
This one can be done a little quicker if you want to use an oven casserole dish but I prefer the slow cooker.
(MAKES ABOUT 8 TOSTADAS)
- 1kg Chicken Thigh Fillets, quartered
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 10 small tortillas or tostadas
- 1/4 white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- hand full of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons of hot sauce
- Sliced red chilli and lime wedge, to serve
- Mix chicken, oil, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
- Turn slow cooker to high and heat some oil, add onion, cook for 2 minutes or until soft. Add chicken mix and the stock. Cover with lid. Allow to cook for 5-6 hours. Check it after about 5 hours and the chicken should be almost falling apart.
- Remove from slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Place chicken pieces into a bowl, shred with 2 forks. Stir through BBQ sauce. You can use some store brand sauce here or if you’ve got a lot of time I’ve got a great sticky cola bbq recipe that I’ll add later.
While the chicken is cooling, place tortillas on a lined baking tray, spray with olive oil, bake for 6 minutes, or until crisp.
To make the coleslaw, combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss. For the hot sauce you can use whatever you like. Personally I like to use Encona Hot Pepper Sauce or some Sriracha. Season with salt and pepper.
When the chicken has been shredded and cooled a little, place some shredded chicken on top of a tortilla, top with coleslaw and garnish with coriander, sliced chilli and lime. Fork ‘N Tasty!