This a big one! Takes a while to make but is so worth it. It’s got everything. Spice. Sour. Salt. Sweet. You won’t regret making this one.
(MAKES ENOUGH FOR 4 PEOPLE, OR 2 DINNERS AND 2 LUNCHES)
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped plus 1, thinly sliced, for salad
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Korean hot pepper paste (use Sriracha if you need an alternative)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 6 chicken breasts
- 2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- Brown rice, to serve
- Butter lettuce leaves, to serve
- Green onions, thinly sliced, to serve
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted, to serve
- For the marinade, place the onions, garlic, soy, hot pepper paste, sugar, honey, oil and half the rice wine vinegar in a small food processor. Blend until combined. Keep 2 Tblsp marinade, to serve. Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag and pour over remaining marinade. Toss to coat and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Ideally refrigerate for over an hour
- Meanwhile, place the cucumber, sweet pepper, chilli, green onions and coriander in a medium bowl. Combine remaining rice wine vinegar with sugar and drizzle over vegetables, Toss to coat and set aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Heat a lightly oiled pan over medium heat and cook chicken for 6 to 8 minutes, turning regularly, or until cooked through.
- Serve chicken with cucumber salad, brown rice, lettuce and reserved marinade. Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds and extra green onion, if desired.
This is full of flavour and great to make, and eat, on a hot day. The mix of cold cucumber and hot, spicy chicken is a great combination. Very Fork ‘N Tasty!